Wednesday 14 September 2011

Back with the sewing bug...

After the summer break, which I have come to accept means less sewing for various reasons. I tidied my workroom. This can mean one of two things...

1. I find things that have been under my nose, under a pile of stuff, that I have been searching for for some time.
and
2. That I am put off starting anything. What IS it about a tidy workroom that dampens my sewing want?
I have no idea. So I decided to tidy, knowing that I wouldn't sew for a bit until I 'd pulled out a few things to clutter up again. At least the floor would be swept properly.
The "tidy" started because I had a Guild Regional day at the weekend there, my last officially as the Young Quilters Rep. This meant that the resources boxes that I had collected were going to be moving to their new home with the incoming Rep. (slight cheer at thought of making space for the bundles on the floor)
After 3 years of a truly fun role I chose to do a Christmas hanging. 14 YQs came to Perth from all over Scotland
(not my children so I have blurred out faces)
And so the Christmas theme continued. 
This is the back of a part of a fairly large hanging I've been doing. Appliqued pieces all button stitched down, which seemed to take ages and a lot of thread - quicker than by hand tho.
Then with the borders on. It's mostly quilted now and bound, bringing the backing to the front in this case. I have been free machining a bit around the holly and trees - and I think I might put names on the stockings. It's one for the stair wall this Christmas though - due to the fact that as usual I read very little in instruction... hence the reason for cutting the squares to 5" rather the instructed 5 1/2" . Fortunately the length of the cream piece was 40"finished, so 9 and 8 fitted (otherwise who knows).


It is with great relief that I found this post.. I typed it, I post it, I lost it into the electronic ether... what's that about?? Anyway - saved!!

2 comments:

PURLPOWER said...

Blimey! Wish I could get inspired to do Christmas stuff. No chance! It's all about the baby knitting round here at the moment. Am itching to get into my sewing again....did you go to see the Paisley exhibition yet?

Polly Hope said...

Not yet... might get a chance when I'm over there on jury duty nxt week :-/
Patching a "Hang 'em ALL!" badge as I type.
Hope you are good x There's also an quilty exhibition on at Collins Gallery until friday. Haven't managed that yet either... Got as far as dribbling on Brad Pitt!!

hand

hand
Hi!