Monday 31 January 2011

Happy sewing.

Plenty action in this household over the past week and a half.  Our bedroom has been cleared - as much as we can really. Our bed is very heavy with a mattress that I can hardly lift to tuck the sheet around so it lives where it lives. But it's surroundings are due a freshen up - loud HOORAY!!! We picked up some  WALLPAPER in the sales, and himself has promised to paint the white bits and I have promised to wallpaper. I quite like it actually. I like to cut up the pieces and match up the patterns , are you laughing, I do indeed use my patchwork ruler and a rotary cutter that is now for paper, so it is a busman's holiday - maybe he got the short straw as ceilings and skirtings aren't much like newspapers...
Last week I completed block 3 and 4 of the civil war block of the week
I haven't photographed the 4th one yet, thought I had. I put a border of navy around my japanese blocks.
I kept holding other colours beside it, and in between the navy and the blocks but in the end I just put it on as is. I'm quite happy. The plan is to put a little something on the border once I have quilted it a bit. Maybe some japanese applique... where on earth it will go I don't know. Bit dark and large for a hanging and not big enough for the bed. I thought this might be though...
Although - I did think it would be a bit bigger. I'm using 2 Minnick 7 Simpson layer cakes that I have kept for a few years. I often have woken thinking about them. I love the colours so much. So it's becoming a Courthouse Steps quilt. So far I have got 30 blocks. I have cut 12 more centres, so that will give me 6x7. I have also kept back some strips to maybe get some flying geese for a border, but that's all pie-in-the-sky. We'll see. I like that about patchwork, the little path that can be unknown.

1 comment:

PURLPOWER said...

Loving those pics, especially the Japanese one. I'm hoping to be on the Tuesday night class for next term....left a message yesterday and waiting for the short course office to phone me back. Apparently the phones went into meltdown yesterday morning!

Thanks for the uber helpful advice about quilt backing. Like you I usually abhor poly-cotton but the design on this one could be very handy. I was worried about different shrinkage rates etc but you have put my mind at rest. I shall proceed with caution though.

Scored some beautiful hand embroidered linen at our local charity shop the other day (Paisley is good for some things!) but where to put all these lovely finds? Wish I could afford a workshop or at least a damp-proofed shed!

hand

hand
Hi!